Hello friends, In this article today I will teach you about different types of retaining wall, because we construct different types of retaining walls for different works, so lets get start .
What is Retaining Wall
Retaining wall is used for retain the earth or some other materials, retaining wall is a vertical member which we construct nearly at he location of those materials which we want to retain.
Types of Retaining Wall
1: Gravity wall
2: Cantilever Wall
3: Counterfort wall
4: Butress wall
5: Key stone wall
6: Tie back wall
Depends entirely on its own weight to provide necessary stability
• Usually constructed of plain concrete or stone masonry
• Plain concrete gravity wall – height 3 m
• In designing this wall, must keep the thrust line within the middle third of the base width – no tensile stress
to be developed
• Economical for height of up to 8 m.
• Structure consist of a vertical cantilever spanning from a large rigid base slab
• Stability is maintained essentially by the weight of the soil on the base slab + self weight of structure.
• When the overall height of the wall is too large to be constructed economically as a cantilever
• Wall & base are tied together at intervals by counterfort or bracing walls
• Bracing in tension
• Economical for high wall usuallyabove 6 – 7 m of backfill.
• Similar to counterfort wall, butbracing is constructed in front of the wall
• Bracing in compression
• More efficient than counterforts,but no usable space in front of the wall
• Made up of segmental block units, made to last
• Based around a system with interlocking fibreglass pins connecting the wall unit and soil reinforcement
• Combination of these resulted in a strong, stable and durable wallsystem
• Offers aesthetic appeal, cost efficiency, easy installation & strength
• Tieback is a horizontal wire or rod, or a helical anchor use to reinforce retaining wall for stability
• One end of the tieback is secured to the wall, while the other end is anchored to a stable structure i.e.concrete deadman driven into theground or anchored into the earthwith sufficient resistance
• Tieback-deadman structure resists
forces that will cause the wall to lean
For day Civil Posting Like Our Facebook Page link is given
Civil Global – Civil Engineering Home
also read :DESIGN OF RAFT FOUNDATION
read more: PROCEDURE OF MIXING MORTAR